Director of Secondary School Advising
Jo first arrived at Pike in 1994 and has served a variety of roles in that time, teaching both history and math, serving as sixth and then eighth grade team leader, and coaching multiple sports.
Secondary School Advising
One of Pike’s core values is Intellectual Ambition, and our students leave Pike well equipped to continue their academic journeys and grow as creative thinkers and agents of social good. Our graduates matriculate to a variety of independent, parochial and public schools where they thrive in their classrooms and communities, often emerging as leaders.
As secondary school advisors, we seek to help our 8th and 9th graders find the right fit in terms of rigor, size, values and opportunities as they continue their academic journeys and build upon the foundation formed at Pike. Our expectation is that Pike Graduates will be positioned for possibility and will be prepared to lead with impact in a world that is increasingly complex.
Director of Secondary School Advising
Secondary School Advisor
Julie has spent the majority of her career in independent schools from Maine to Maryland, both as a teacher/advisor/coach and as a spouse at the schools where her husband has taught and they have lived, most recently for over 23 years at The Governor's Academy.
“At every point in the Secondary School Advisory experience, we were struck by how deeply our advisor knew our child and respected our family priorities. By knowing our child, they were able to leverage their understanding of the academic landscape to successfully guide us to finding a good fit for this next part of our educational journey."
Chad S., Class of 2023 Parent
"Brooks School has had a terrific relationship with Pike for decades. We have enrolled well-rounded students who are prepared to face an academically rigorous curriculum, who jump into extracurricular activities, and who are exemplary citizens. We have also enjoyed working with Pike's Secondary School Advising Team who partner with us in our joint goal of finding the right match school for each student."
Bini Egertson- Director of Admission, Brooks School
“Ms. Ogden advised both our children who had very different needs, goals and personalities. Her advice was very valuable in narrowing down the list of schools to apply to and even decide on which school would be a better fit for our children. Our one piece of advice to families, listen to Ms. Ogden and Ms. Buttress!
Madhu C., Class of 2021 and 2023
Grades 5 and 6 – Learn
- Informal meet and greet coffees to demystify specific facets of the secondary school process, such as how applying for financial aid impacts the process
- Introduction of opportunities to help our younger Upper School students explore their passions, round out their interests and maximize their strengths as potential future secondary school applicants
Grade 7 — Explore
- Evening panel presentation and info session for seventh grade families and students with school representatives from various schools; here is a chance to explore differences amongst schools such as boarding vs day schools, small vs large, single sex vs co-ed
- Initial meetings with parents and guardians begin to discuss the process and construct an initial list for those applying out to independent or parochial schools
Grade 8 — Embody
- Students examine their own strengths, needs and abilities as they identify a list of schools that will enable them to fully embody the Portrait of a Pike Graduate
- Fall visits from a myriad of school admissions representatives help to facilitate this process as students looks for schools that are a good fit
- Monthly updates and support for families continues throughout the fall, as students focus on highlighting their unique strengths through interviews and essays, completing applications by the December/January deadlines.
For current families looking for a more extensive timeline, please log in to our current families section below. To get the passkey, please reach out to one of our Secondary School Team members.
Independent Boarding/Day Schools
Phillips Academy — Andover (94)
Brooks School (28)
The Governor’s Academy (25)
Lawrence Academy (23)
Pingree School (17)
The Derryfield School (12)
Middlesex School (11)
Boston University Academy (11)
Phillips Exeter Academy (6)
Groton School (4)
Choate Rosemary Hall (3)
Concord Academy (3)
The Academy at Penguin Hall (3)
Miss Porters School (3)
St. Paul’s School (2)
Commonwealth School (2)
The Winsor School (2)
Northfield Mount Hermon (2)
Tabor Academy (2)
Kimball Union Academy (2)
Holderness School (2)
St Mark’s School
Noble and Greenough School
Belmont Hill School
Williston Northampton School
Portsmouth Abbey School
New England Innovation Academy
Durham Academy (NC)
Westtown School (PA)
Windermere Preparatory School (FL)
Brentwood School (UK)
ASU Preparatory Academy (AZ)
Andover High School or other public school (34)
St. John’s Preparatory School (18)
Austin Preparatory School (5)
Central Catholic High School (8)
Greater Lawrence Technical School
Boston Independent School Collaborative Virtual Event
October 19 and May 8
Join this webinar to hear from a panel of Admissions Directors from 19 Boston-area Independent Schools talk about mission-driven education, high academic standards, individualized student experiences, educating the whole child, and other topics relevant to the applicant’s journey towards enrollment. The program will begin with a panel, followed by Zoom meeting rooms to allow families to connect with individual schools and learn more about their specific programs and admission processes.
Register for the webinar on October 19
New England Innovation Academy (NEIA)
Fall Open House
6:00 - 8:00 p.m.
St. Mark's School
Open Houses, info sessions, and more!
View Upcoming Events
St. John's Prep
View Upcoming Events
Visits and Events
View a list of Upcoming Events
Saturday, October 21
11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Northfield Mt Hermon School
Northfield Mt Hermon School is sponsoring a series of workshops to help families and students navigate the application process more smoothly. If you are looking for information on interviewing, the financial aid process, how to present your strengths as a candidate, how to write an effective admissions essay and other topics relevant to the process, we think you will find these workshops helpful. Learn more and register.