Dear Lower School families,
It has been a wonderful first week of school! The 2021-2022 year is off to a great start and your children seem right at home already in Pike’s Lower School. Students have started to get to know their classmates and teachers, establish routines, and explore new spaces. They have done an amazing job with health and safety protocols such as masking and testing, and have made it through our first fire drill and rainy day - impressive for only three half days!
Speaking of which - next week we begin full days (3:10 pm dismissal), and that brings a few friendly reminders:
- An adult will begin opening car doors for LS students to come through the LS entrance directly into classrooms at 8:00 on M/T/Th/F. On Wednesdays, starting this week (9/15), dropoff will go from 9:15-9:30 for our delayed start. Cars should come through the LS carpool line and children should wait until an adult opens the door for them to exit the car so we may greet them, help them get out safely, and make sure they have all of their items for school. Ideally, children are sitting on the passenger side (closest to the curb) or can easily get to that side on their own. Please do not park your car and walk your child to the sidewalk or LS entrance.
- Please send in an extra set of clothes for your child, along with a pair of rain boots. We go outside for recess rain or shine - as we like to say there’s no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing (:
- Picture Day is this coming Monday, September 13th! We hope to have all photos taken outdoors, however, photos will be taken indoors in case of inclement weather. Following Picture Day you will receive instructions for viewing and ordering your child’s proof portraits online. If you have any questions, e-mail Coffee Pond Photographers at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (800) 632-2323, extension 0.
- Monday is also our first day of lunch being served in classrooms at Pike. Please be patient as we know it will take time to work out the kinks, and know that we will communicate with you about your child if there are any issues.
- Enrichment Programs start Monday. If your child is enrolled, teachers will let them know where to go after dismissal. Pick up for these programs is 4:30. If they are enrolled in Pike Plus, they will go there after their program.
- Monday is also (phew!) our first day where students in Lower School will be attending specialist classes: Music with Mr. Viani, Art with Mrs. Sandagata, Spanish with Señorita Ruiz, and PE with Mr. Medeiros, Mr. Kelly, and/or Ms. Shannon. Your children will meet all of these folks in the coming week, and we’re so excited for their adventures in these engaging and enriching subject areas to get underway.
- Surveillance testing will be on Wednesdays from now on.
I am enjoying getting to know your children and look forward to getting to know all of you better as well. If you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions, please know that I am eager to hear from you.
Head of Lower School